Frank den Bakker was born in 1963. When he grew up there was a lot of music at home: his father played the violin, banjo, mandolin and harmonica. His brothers and sisters also play several instruments including guitar, violin, flute and piano.
He began his musical career when he was eleven years old with teachers Jeanne Alblas and Piet van Amstel in Delft. They have given Frank a solid musical foundation right from the start; both practically and theoretically.
From the age of 17 Frank plays piano and organ at church services and was asked by a teacher of High School to accompany a church choir. Gradually he started to accompany many choirs.
He studied for 10 years at the Royal Conservatory in The Hague: Organ (teaching and performing artist), Piano, Improvisation and basso continuo, Church Music and School Music.
During his (Classical) studies Frank came in contact with contemporary music, especially christian contemporary worship but also more jazzy music. He was for instance greatly inspired by Keith Green, who wrote many songs with biblical content. So Frank expanded his musical area and picked up song-writing and arranging.
Due to the fact that he graduated in different directions within music he has acquired broad knowledge and skills and has gained experience in all kinds of musical settings.
Experience from the past
Teacher ‘Verlengde Schooldag’ at the School of Music in The Hague.
Conductor of several choirs including children’s choirs, youth choirs and mixed choirs.
Music teacher at a elementary school, all ages.
Frank was accompanist of an oratorio choir which regularly performed concerts with an orchestra. In this setting played the organ as soloist as well as basso continuo player.
Frank was music editor for the International Bible Association for the Christian school method ‘ Startpunt ‘. He edited and wrote songs for this method.
Frank has led a number of workshops on Christian Artists Seminar.
He wrote 90 of 509 (organ) arrangements of songs of the ‘Evangelisch Liedboek’, published by the former publisher ‘Boekencentrum’.
He was also editor for the ‘Liedboek zettingen voor muziek teams’ from the same publisher.
In 2009 Frank composed the audio logo with matching bumpers and meditational music for ‘Lokale Omroep Almelo’. They broadcast every week.
In 2010 he made piano recordings for former publisher ‘Boekencentrum’: ‘Bijbelliederen voor jonge kinderen’, written by Jan D. van Laar.
Commissioned in 2010 by ‘Kunstfactor’ Frank wrote two children songs for the Inter-Religious collection and CD called ‘Alles is voor altijd’.
Frank was editor for ‘Psalmen voor Nu’, newly composed Psalms published by former ‘Boekencentrum’.
Current progress of works
- Conductor of the mixed choir ‘The Lofstem’ from the Babtist Church of Almelo.
- Conductor of the mixed choir ‘Together’ (Cantorij) of the NOACH Church of Almelo.
- Conductor of the male choir ‘Almelo’s Christelijk Mannenkoor’ in Almelo
- For all his choirs Frank makes choral arrangements and sometimes backing tracks.
- Composer of contemporary worship songs for both children and adults.
- Giving workshops about church music and the use of a wide range of instruments in church.
- Various concerts and / or performances with various (professional) musicians.
- Producing several CDs in his own studio in Almelo. You will find a number of titles on this website. Various of his own songs were recorded on CD; youcan listen to some mp3’s on this site. Some are also available as pdf for free download.
- Regularly play with several bands during kids praise, gospel concerts, interdenominational activities etc.
- teaching piano, organ, vocals and harmony.
- In 2011, Frank and Hans afternoon a musical written, called Twins ; an intriguing story about twin brothers. Hans Frank wrote the text and all music. The musical is on 12 March 2011 premiere.